History of the Tifton Police Department Patch
In 1948, the first official patch of the Tifton Police Department was adopted. The patch carried the city’s logo “The Friendly City”. The clasped hands conveyed a spirit of cooperation, warmth, and welcome to Tifton.
In 1992 Chief James A. Smith began looking into ideas for a new patch that would be attractive, informative, but still carry the message of its predecessor. Officer T.L. Kiser designed the patch that is now being proudly worn by members of the Tifton Police Department.
Outstanding features of the patch include two white stars that are dedicated to the only two officers in the history of the department to be killed in the line of duty. The wheel in the center is a pictorial history of Tifton-Tift County. The farmer behind the plow represents the fact that we are an agricultural community. The many large farms in Tift County provide plants, produce, timber, and livestock, not only for consumption or use in Georgia, but all over the world. The brown wood frame building was the first courthouse. Set up in a store that belonged to Captain H.H. Tift, the business of the County was carried out within it. This building is a humble reminder of how far the City and County have progressed since the late 1800′s.
The clasped hands were taken from the original patch as was the logo “The Friendly City.” After 50 years, they deserve a place on any patch that may be worn by this department. After all, Tifton always has been and always will be “The Friendly City.”