School Resource Officers
Working To Keep Our Kids Safe
A School Resource Officer is responsible for many different roles within his/her school:
- The SRO is vital in problem-solving with the school’s administrative team and serves as a link between the school and community.
- The SRO is a classroom resource for students, teachers, administrators, and parents.
- The SRO provides students with a positive role model and a balanced view of law enforcement.
- The SRO is a proactive law enforcement officer dealing with law related issues on campus.
Problem Solving and Community Link
SRO’s and school administrators work closely with the students and are extensively trained at the Georgia Public Safety Training Center to deal with problems and conflicts. Getting the right kind of help to students who need it is the SRO’s top priority. SRO’s are a resource to citizens who may have questions or problems relating to students.
- The School Resource Officer is not a disciplinarian, but is first and foremost a law enforcement officer and is to be notified in the event of a state law or city ordinance violation.
- They may also be notified upon any questions that a member of the community may have.