The mission of the Tifton Youth Council (TYC) is for youth in grades 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th to build leadership skills, learn about civic responsibility and gain a better understanding of municipal government.
Meetings will be held twice a month at Tifton City Hall located at 130 E. 1st Street Tifton, in the Council Chambers on the first floor, unless otherwise specified. The day and time of the meeting will be determined, and a notice of all meetings shall be posted in accordance with the Georgia Open Meetings Law. The TYC will not officially meet during the summer months.
TYC Advisory Board
The TYC is guided by a TYC Advisory Board appointed by Mayor Julie Smith who serves as the head of the board. The 2023-2024 TYC Advisory Board members will be announced soon.
For more information, contact Dr. Tonja Tift at firstname.lastname@example.org or (229) 391-3868.
2023-24 APPLICATIONS OPEN
Deadline for application submissions is Monday, October 2, 2023.
Both the student application and parent/guardian release form must be submitted in order to be considered for the youth council. A letter of recommendation must be uploaded to the student application.
Applications will be reviewed the first week of October with notifications sent on Friday, October 6th.
A Welcome Event is scheduled for Thursday, October 12th at 5:30pm. Details will be included in notification email.
Questions on the Application
1. Why do you want to be a member of the Tifton Youth Council?
2. What are your interests, hobbies or ambitions?
3. What do you wish to gain from your experience with the Tifton Youth Council?
4. What personal skills, qualities and/or strengths can you bring to the Tifton Youth Council?
5. Do you have any interest in becoming an officer (President, Vice President, Clerk, Public Relations) in the Tifton Youth Council? If so, please explain why.
* A letter of recommendation is required. Letters from family members will not be accepted.